Governor Laura Kelly Announces Visitor Attractions Development Grant Recipients


Local

Written by: Press Release Posted by David Elliott
Publication date: 05/16/2022

Governor Laura Kelly announced the 11 recipients of the Kansas Tourist Attractions Development Grants.

The grants were presented by Lieutenant Governor and Secretary of Commerce David Toland on Friday, May 13 during an event at the Colby Events Center.

“Tourism is our state’s welcoming committee for new residents and businesses,” Governor Laura Kelly said. “By continuing to develop vibrant travel destinations across Kansas, we are opening the door to more revenue and new economic growth in communities of all sizes.”

The Attraction Development Grant Program is administered by Kansas Tourism, a division of the Kansas Department of Commerce. The grants help expand sustainable, market-driven travel experiences within the state that will influence travel decisions, increase visits to Kansas, and generate economic impact resulting from job creation, d capital investment and tax revenue.

Kansas Tourism will provide a total of $251,544 in grants for 11 new or improved attraction development projects across the state. In total, the 11 grant recipients will invest more than $2.1 million in the approved projects.

“Destination development and tourism are essential economic development activities,” said Lieutenant Governor and Secretary of Commerce Toland. “When people come to one of these attractions, they are also dining at our local restaurants, staying at local hotels, and shopping at local stores. All of this brings new dollars to our communities and helps showcase the places. great places to live, work and play across Kansas.”

The 2022 scholarship recipients are:

  • Abilene Convention and Visitors Bureau, Dickinson County, $22,000 – World’s Largest Belt Buckle
  • Baxter Springs Historical Society, Cherokee County, $40,000 – Route 66 Roadside Park
  • Town of Colby, Thomas County, $40,000 – Young Memorial Park Project
  • Colonial Fox Theater Foundation, Crawford County, $40,000 – Theater Pavilion Project
  • Exploration Place, Sedgwick County, $20,000 – Traveling Exhibit Gallery Upgrades
  • Good Karma Micro-Dairy, Russell County, $3,130 – Agritourism Farm Tour Upgrades
  • Kansas State Fair, Reno County, $10,699 – Exhibit Center Upgrades
  • Medicine Lodge Indian Peace Treaty Association, Barber County, $20,000 – Grounds Improvement Project
  • Oregon Trail, LLC, Brown County, $40,000 – Glamping Project
  • Thrive Allen County, Allen County, $2,475 – Walter Johnson Sign
  • White Tail Run Winery, Douglas County, $13,239 – disc golf course

“Funding for these projects is critical to expanding and enhancing Kansas’ extensive portfolio of attractions,” Kansas Tourism Director Bridgette Jobe said. “This grant supports destinations and communities by stimulating economic growth, increasing visits to Kansas and improving the visitor experience.”

The applications were reviewed by a committee of three Kansas travel industry representatives appointed by Lieutenant Governor and Secretary of Commerce David Toland. The committee made its selections based on the projects’ economic impact on the state, the availability of leveraged finance, the ability to complete the project within 18 months, and the presence of a business plan. and strong marketing. Grants can fund up to 40% of a project, with the community or business funding the remaining 60%.

For more information, please visit https://www.travelks.com/travel-industry/programs-and-resources/grants/ or contact Kansas Tourism Grants Program Director Taylor Hartshorn at [email protected]

(Information courtesy of the Governor’s Office.)

Previous How to protect your tax refund from student loan tax garnishment
Next Watch Dopapod's "Fannie" Debut at the Mr. Smalls Theater in Pittsburgh [Video]