Catch virtual or live performances this summer with our roundup of theatrical and artistic productions online and in person in August 2021.
This month, the festival celebrating the Great Bard returns to Miller Outdoor, Billie Holiday gets an extension at Stages, Dacamera celebrates award-winning jazz, women bring their voices to MATCH, and more.
We’ve rounded up many types of performances that you can see this month, including some that offer virtual options in addition to their in-person presentations.
Top 8 Arts Events in Houston: August 2021
- Houston Shakespeare Festival presents Shakespeare’s Night at the Movies at the Miller Open Air Theater | From Tuesday August 3 to Saturday August 7 | FREE – It wouldn’t be August without the annual Shakespeare Festival, which is taking a pandemic turn this year. Each evening features a screening of a different film based on a Shakespeare play, with a pre-curtain discussion of the production. This year’s offers include Henri v (1989), Throne of Blood (1957), A Midsummer Night’s dream (1935), A lot of noise for nothing (1993) and Romeo + Juliet (1996). Free and limited tickets for covered seats are available online two days before each screening. The seats on the hill are open to the public. 8:30 p.m.
- Mildred’s umbrella presents Lady Gray (in increasingly dim light) Online Streaming | Thursday August 5 to Friday August 13 | Virtual – Will Eno’s play examines marriage, life and expectations, both ours and those of the people around us, through the lens of a woman in an almost happy marriage. Presented on stage and filmed for a streaming audience, the show is the latest installment of Mildred’s Umbrella’s digital projects. Tickets are free, although paid donations are appreciated.
- Steps present Lady Day at Emerson’s Bar and Grill | Ends Sunday August 8 | Virtual option – Recently extended, this musical takes us to Billie Holiday at the end of her career, performing at a Philadelphia dive bar and sharing stories about her iconic life. This Tony KO winner includes over a dozen Billie Holiday hits like “Crazy He Calls Me”, “Easy Living” and “Strange Fruit”. Live streaming is available through Overture +. Tickets start at $ 25. Times vary.
- Catastrophic theater presents Tamarie Cooper’s Golden Jubilee | From Friday August 13 to Sunday September 5 | Virtual – The incomparable Tamarie Cooper turns 50 and it calls for celebration in a way only she can deliver. Riffing on all 50 things, from 50 bad dates to those 50 books that won’t go away, this wild summer extravaganza features original songs, dances, and adorable pet appearances. Tickets are pay what you can.
- Music Box Theater presents 10 years anniversary show | Ends Saturday August 14 – Celebrating both the reopening of its cozy Colquitt Street home and its 10th anniversary, this cabaret features a musical tribute to favorite songs and fun moments of the past decade. Places are limited to 60% of the capacity. General admission is $ 35; $ 48 for reserved seats. Performances at 7:30 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays; 2 p.m. some Sundays.
- DaCamera Presents SummerJazz 2021 on Multiple Venues | From Friday August 20 to Sunday August 22 – This three-day program features some of the world’s best jazz artists, including the powerful voice of Dianne Reeves, the Latin groove of Grammy-winning Dafnis Prieto Big Band, and trumpeter Marquis Hill, plus other concerts family and after parties. Passes available through the lounge or for the whole weekend. Tickets start at $ 37.50; some events are free. Times vary.
- FreshArts & Intersection Arts presents Women have something to say to MATCH | From Friday August 27 to Sunday August 29 | Virtual option – Told through a series of monologues and songs, this powerful production explores the stories of women musicians finding their voices. These interwoven pieces showcase the creativity, resilience and solidarity of individual women as they discover they have something to say. Please note that this show contains adult themes and language. Tickets cost $ 25; $ 10 for Friday’s virtual performance livestream. Friday and Saturday 7:30 p.m. Sunday 2 p.m.
- Los Chicos Del 512: The Selena Experience at the Miller Open Air Theater | Saturday August 28 | FREE | Virtual option – Relive the power and magic of Selena’s stars in this dynamic tribute concert that promises an evening of song and dance that will have the whole family cheering. A live broadcast of the performance will be available on Miller Outdoor’s YouTube channel. Free and limited tickets for covered seats are available online two days before the event. The seats on the hill are open to the public. 8:30 p.m.