Professional Regional Theater Tacoma Arts Live will stage Pulitzer Prize winner Stephen Adly Guirgis’ darkly comedic production of The Last Days of Judas Iscariot. The play opens for a preview night Thursday, October 13 at 7:30 p.m., followed by six additional performances between October 14 and 23 at the Tacoma Armory. Tickets start at $35 and are on sale now.
The Last Days of Judas Iscariot is a touching yet hilarious examination of one of Christianity’s most infamous sinners. This surreal court drama is set in the city of Hope, Purgatory, where divine mercy struggles against human free will. Judas’ defense attorney pleads to save his soul. A suave prosecutor demands retaliation while the judge and jury hear testimony from a remarkable array of witnesses, including Mother Theresa, Saint Monica, Sigmund Freud and many more.
This gritty piece weaves together a rich examination of forgiveness while asking a question of biblical proportion: Does history’s most notorious traitor deserve forgiveness? What would Jesus do? What happened to Judas Iscariot? Was he the deceitful master of his own destiny, a suffering pawn, or simply a man who made a mistake? The Last Days of Judas Iscariot depicts these deep questions in a tumultuous and, at times, emotionally piercing trial.
This courtroom drama is sure to make the inhabitants of heaven, hell and purgatory – not to mention the public – reconsider the definitions of forgiveness, faith and redemption for each of us at our worst. and at our best. Content Notice: This piece contains adult language and themes.
- Opening evening: Thursday October 13, 2022 at 7:30 p.m.
- Opening: Friday, October 14, 2022 at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday October 15, 2022 at 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday October 16, 2022 at 3:00 p.m.
- Friday October 21, 2022 at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday October 22, 2022 at 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday October 23, 2022 at 3:00 p.m.
All performances will be held at the Tacoma Armory, 1001 S. Yakima in Tacoma.
The pro cast and crew are brimming with Pacific Northwest talent, in order of appearance:
- JILL HEINECKE as Henrietta Iscariot
- Darien Torbert as Jesus
- Alexis Wald * as Gloria / Mother Teresa
- Anders Bolang * as Judge Littlefield / Caiaphas
- Joshua Olver as Usher / Simon the Zealot
- Sohrob Khojasteh as El-Fayoumy
- Kathryn Philbrook as Cunningham
- Kristen Natalia as Saint Monica
- Audrey Herold as Loretta / Mary Magdalene / Sister Glenna
- Earley Dean * as Pontius Pilate / Uncle Pino
- Mikel Michener as Butch Honeywell
- Jonathan Swindle as Judas Iscariot
- Frank Roberts as Matthias of Galilee / Saint Peter
- Chris Graves as Saint Matthew / Soldier (understudy)
- Ben Swenson-Klatt as Satan
- Micheal O’Hara as Sigmund Freud / Saint Thomas
- Suz Pontillo as Cunningham (understudy)
- Asante Hayes, soldier
*Indicates a member of the Actor’s Equity Association production team:
- Tacoma Arts Live and Brett Carr, co-producers
- Joshua Knudson, director
- Thomas Robinson, stage manager
- Lily Oellerich, Assistant Stage Manager and COVID Security Manager
- Christopher Mumaw, scenography
- Brett Carr, Principal Carpenter and Scenic Implementation Supervisor
- Kim Izenman, responsible artist
- Fantasia Rose, costume designer
- Elizabeth Moreno, costume assistant
- Antonieta Castillo Carpio, real estate designer
- Kendall Mahoney, sound designer
- Ryan Dunn, Lighting Designer
- Maria-Tania Bandes B. Weingarden, playwright
- Marianna DeFazio, dialect coach
- Amanda Rae, Corporate Director
Tacoma Arts Live’s professional regional theater program intends to produce a season of great plays with conscience, to engage empathy, challenge complacency, and inspire audiences to live in thoughtful inquiry. Each piece is carefully chosen with the support of Angel Contributors and Theater Cohorts.
Tickets for The Last Days of Judas Iscariot are $35 and $55 and are on sale now. To purchase tickets, call Tacoma Arts Live Box Office at 253.346.1721, visit in person at Tacoma Armory – 1001 S Yakima Ave., or online at www.TacomaArtsLive.org.